Sunday, January 2, 2011

STUCK IN THE SIXTIES?


Is it just me?

I listen to songs from my high school years and am pulled back into those wonderful times. I remember feeling bad when I graduated high school in '64. I didn't know why, but I had the feeling that something joyous was now gone forever.

Memories: I was in Junior English when it was announced that Kennedy had been shot. Until his burial, nothing else was on the TV. The weird thing for me was that when he was elected in '60, a fellow freshman classmate said, "He'll never live out his term. He's going to be assassinated." Although my guess is that the kid was referring to the fact that Kennedy was Catholic, it was such a strange thing for anyone to say that it stuck with me.

Drugs in the early Sixties were things like Penicillin or polio meds (1962's Sabin Oral Sunday memories). Marijuana at that time was considered to be on the same level as heroin. Boy have times changed.

I can't say I like everything about those times. Racial hatred, the KKK and even religious bigotry were rampant.

However, I would LOVE to be able to go back to those years, attend once again the high school dances, and go drag racing. I did all that but would love to do it again and again and again.

Sorry, but I REALLY do miss the Sixties!

Ernest